Monday, November 19, 2007

Naan, Chicken Tikka Masala, Cinnamon Nutmeg Chicken ~ Weekend Cooking

It was a wonderful weekend. I didn't work this Saturday and spent the time with kids, I squeezed into prepare Jhangiri, in view of one entry for many events. I feel bad for not having enough time to prepare one exclusively for each event as Asha does. But then she is a superwoman! I always think that all the bloggers first consult with her and then announce the theme, because she has dishes for every event! All exclusive with wonderful steps and pictures! I think there is some conspiracy. Since she is such a wonderful person, all want to make sure she has a dish and then announce!..:D..On my part, since she is such a versatile cook and has been using mw for years, have no qualms because she will have atleast one dish for my event!

So after spending time at home, I went to meet Lathamma. She is such a cute and active lady, I felt I have always known her for ages. And I feel I need to take special care to be like her when I reach her age. She is just wonderful with her tales and just talking on anything. Time just flew, what with me eating her Naan with Tofu Koftas. It was yummy except the tofu had more like a non-veg taste. This was the first time I had. Then I had her mixture, I made sure I picked out those lovely Aloo chips. Well if I explain anymore I might inquire wrath from all! Best of all (read highlight), I met her brother, sil and their 7 yrs old boy Rahul. He jabs non-stop. It would take greater effort than ours to make him stop for a while. Once they left, we spent chatting on things non-stop. It was with great reluctance I made a move.

Sunday was also great since I planned to prepare something new. For many days I had been planning to try her Cinnamon's recipes. I looked up all her chicken recipes. Everything was mouth watering to look at. Only I had one hindrance in way, I wasn't having cream. Finally decided to try Chicken Tikka Masala. I wanted to prepare Naan for this. So planned to rest the Naan for atleast 4 hrs. But was held up with Breakfast preparation and got around to this only by 11 am, so had to manage with whatever time was there to spare.


Naan

Naan is always my favorite bread that I order every time we eat out. Amma never attempted to make this at home because it involved tandoori. But the number of naan recipes that were blogged in recent times, made me crave to make it at home. I had prepared it two other times, which came out very well. But the downside of it was, it got completed so fast that I didn't have time to take a shot. First time round I used yeast but it never rose. Second time I used baking powder and both the times it came out really good. This time, I wanted take advantage of the dry yeast packet that was lying in the freezer and try out Naans. As the time was running, didn't really pay attention to the fact that milk was tepid and to add to it the climate was chill!. Result was, the yeast didn't rise to the occasion, again!. So in the end I resorted to adding 1/2 tsp of baking powder and let it rest for 10 mins before rolling them out. Please don't ask me which actually resulted in the perfect Naan, was it the yeast or the baking powder? I have no clue myself. Result was superb. Soft and tasty Naans were ready. But one note, this can be enjoyed more if you had somebody else cooking it for you!

Maida / All purpose - 3 & 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Yeast - 1/2 tsp
Warm Milk - 1/2 glass
Sugar - 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp
Butter as required



Take the yeast in a glass and add sugar and milk. Let it rest for 10 mins. It should rise, if it doesn't no problem. Add baking powder.

Take a bowl, add the flour along with salt and the yeast mix. Knead well to get a pliable dough. Cover with wet muslin cloth and keep it in warm place for it to rise.

Once you are ready to roll out, divide to equal balls. It yielded about 10 small sized Naans.

Roll out as a triangle by dusting it with the flour. Heat a tawa. Take the rolled out naan, smear water to one side and stick it on the tawa. On the top, wet with water and press sesame seeds.

Put the flame to high and turn the tawa facing the flame. Ensure all the sides gets cooked. It will start bulging out. Then turn again and remove the naan, You can cook the Naan again on the direct flame. When you remove to a plate, smear butter on the top.

Serve it with Chicken Tikka Masala.

Chicken Tikka Masala

I adapted Chicken Tikka Masala from Cinnamon, it came out really great. I changed measurements and ingredients as per our taste. Moreover I searched for recipes which didn't require Cream as I didn't have on hand. Thought this didn't require, but the naughty girl that she is, mentioned it in the end. By then I had ordered boneless chicken to be delivered. So thought would ignore it. I guess it didn't matter much as I had toned down the spice in all the stages. And she asked for mace, I replaced nutmeg instead.

Time to Marinate - 2 hrs
Preparation Time - 30 mins
Cooking Time : - 45 mins app
Serves - 6 servings

Ingredients:
Chicken Tikka:
Chicken cubes - 800 gms, boneless
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 1 medium
Hung curd - 2 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp

Onion Masala:
Onions: 2, medium sized, roughly chopped
Cashew Nuts - 60 gms
Cloves - 2
Green Cardamom pods - 2
Cinnamon stick - 2 inches
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil, for frying

Tomato Sauce:
Tomatoes - 3 medium
Cloves - 2
Green Cardamom pods -2
Cinnamon Stick - 2"
Nutmeg powder - 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies - 4
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Dried Fenugreek leaves - a pinch

To Finish:
Oil - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 1 tsp, chopped
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tbsp
Dried Fenugreek Leaves a pinch
Coriander : 1 tbsp, chopped


Method to prepare :

For Chicken Tikka:

Marinate the chicken pieces, with the ingredients under chicken tikka for 2 hrs.

After 2 hrs, heat a pan and add the marinade with chicken pieces and cook it on high. Keep stirring to ensure it doesn't get burnt.You can cook till the chicken is cooked and the masala gets coated to the pieces.

For Onion Masala:

Heat oil in a pan and add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin. Once they splutter, add cashews and onions. Fry till its little brown.

Add coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Fry till done, and keep aside to cool. Grind it to fine paste once its cool

For Tomato Sauce

Take all the ingredients in vessel and boil till the tomatoes are soft and you a sauce like texture. Cool and Blend to a smooth consistency.

To Finish:

Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan, and add garlic, sauté till golden brown. Then Add onion paste and fry for few mins, then add tomato sauce and chicken tikka pieces.

Cook covered until chicken is done, then add garam masala, fenugreek leaves, and adjust salt.

Finally garnish with coriander and serve.

Note:
You can fry all the ingredients for Onion paste in a pan, remove and fry the chicken tikka in the same pan.

Take a second pan to do the final tadka and add the onion and tomato pastes. Once it starts boiling, you can add this mixture to the chicken tikka. Add water and let it boil. This way we save time and cleaning too!

My daughter loved it so much, though hubby would've liked it to be more spiced up! I was little upset about it. But he cheered me saying I need to be happy that my daughter was happy about it. Its not easy getting her to eat. Though I had reduced the measurement a lot, we had this going strong for today also..:D. So think through the measurement again and proceed!

Cinnamon Nutmeg flavoured Chicken.

Ok for want of better name, I christen it myself. The base method is same as my Chicken Fry, but added Cinnamon & Nutmeg powders and dry roasted it.

Ingredients needed

Chicken pieces - 200 gms
Onion paste - 2 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 3 long
Clove - 2
Cinnamon - 2 "
Star aniseed - 1
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - few springs chopped


Method to prepare:

Heat Oil in Kadai, add onion paste, ginger garlic paste, green chillies along with the whole spices. Fry well till its brown,

Then add chicken pieces. Fry well so that the pieces gets coated. Simmer for 20 mins. Then add Cinnamon and Nutmeg powder and cover again to cook till the chicken is well done.

Garnish with coriander leaves

Ok one more look from the arial view..:D


Had a quick assemble of all the three for the photo session, before the Naan got devoured!

Enjoy!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


26 comments :

Asha said...

HeHe! Thank you Sri for all that you said about me. Guess what? Superwoman is getting a brain freeze, so she will be 10 days of in early Dec. from all the blogging and will be back refreshed!:D
Great to read about Latha and you, I feel same way, like I have known for a long time!:))
Non-veg dishes look fabulous. I am getting ready too for Thanksgiving, cooking Turkey cutlets and a whole chicken in clay pot!
I will try your Naan too, I am forever looking for naan recipes!

Srivalli said...

Asha ...glad you liked them. But what I said were true!...bhohohoo..you are taking leave for 10 days, we will miss! pls atleast visit us !..:D

Yeah thats a great feeling you get when you meet a person for the first time and feel that you have always known them.

You know when I was preparing and while posting it also I thought about you and your search for a perfect Naan. These came out well. So try and let me know

Rajitha said...

i could not help but agree with what u said about the naan..if someone else makes it for u..it is better...sometimes when i make elaborate food..which is rare...i get so tired, i feel like eating curd-rice for the day!!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Oh I thought something went wrong when I commented an hour back!

You had to prepare naans for anjana as you left her and came to meet me and eat naans! :D Did your kids enjoy the mixture?
I forgot to pack a few jangiris for my son and he was very upset after seeing them in your post! :)

Happy cook said...

Wow i am comming over to you place on a sunday if you are cooking like this on sunday's :-)))
Love all the dishes. When i try to make naan it ends up a disaster.

Siri said...

Ashaji is seriously a super woman Sri.. well said about her and Lathamma! Glad u ppl had a great time. Wish I cud be there with u chatting and munching.. heehhe..:) and I am vegetarian, so this post is not for me..:)) Naan looks delish though.

bee said...

the naan looks lovely. if you don't have cream, just add milk powder.

bindiya said...

Excellent spread, but very elaborate, how do u get the time for such lengthy cooking time??

Tee said...

Awesome! This is such a mouthwatering spread!!!

vimmi said...

Hi sri,
All three items look amazing. I also want to try naan at home but am scared. May be one day...........

Rina said...

Love chicken tikka and naan. Thanx for sharing.

Dhivya Karthik said...

U have been tagged - visit here http://culinarybazaar.blogspot.com/2007/11/double-surprise-and-too-happy-to-food.html to know more :)

Seema said...

Lovely Naans & Chicken curry.. Really yummy! Your naans look perfect.. weather it was yeast or baking powder.. all that matters ultimately is taste, right??

Anonymous said...

hi srivalli,

u always have a great thalli for food and make me to prepare everything and put on weight. Nowdays myself and my husband putting on weight eating so much, we want to avoid but cant help. One more thing, today i wanted to prepare naan and u posted the recipe what a coincidence. I will visit your website as soon as i get up from the bed and decide what to prepare.

Thanks a lot for your recipes, i have one more doubt, adding baking powder is for flour or to yeast mixture? pls do reply i have to preppare it today

sagari said...

naan look soo good and that cinnamon flavor chicken is very new thanks for sharing

Linda said...

What a feast you had, Srivalli! Everything looks wonderful, and especially love those yummy naans :)

Srivalli said...

Rajitha, yeah that happens...but no worry..once in a while we need to cook elaborate dishes

Lathamma...yeah she was asking me about visiting my friends place..I told her will take her the next time...yes even my little one eat it when hubby gave him....ohh..thats so bad..tell your son that I will make it next time for him

Happy cook, sure you are most welcome..you can try this..its pretty easy..

Siri, yeah would've loved to meet you too..hhaha..I understand..

bee, thank you...sure will add the next time

bindiya, thank you...but it wasn't really so lengthy..can easily manage if you plan it

Tee, thank you. glad you liked it

vimmi, thanks...why don't you try this one out..it was quite easy!

Rina, glad you like them

Dhivya, thanks..will do it sometime soon..

Seema, thank you...agree on that

Anon, thanks for dropping by....makes me feel good that you check on my blog first thing in the morning...glad I could help you put on weight..:D

About the baking powder..you need to add to the flour while kneading it to a dough....if you have any other doubts..you can always mail me..

wish you had given your name!

sagari, thanks for the comments

Linda, glad you liked them...they were very tasty too

Vcuisine said...

Valli, what a feast on Sunday. Nice write up. Asha is super woman only as you said. Enjoyed reading that post. Yesterday I could not answer you, as i was out of my desk. Thanks for enquiring Valli. Take care. Viji

Raaga said...

yummy stuff :) I want to make naans too.

Nags said...

lovely write up :)

Srivalli said...

Viji, Thanks, glad that everybody agrees on that..thats fine. Will catch you later

Raaga, thanks ..when you could make such delicious pizza this should be no issues

Nags, thank you :)

Ashu said...

Hey Sri! Tried out the chicken fry! Really yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the feedback Ashu, I am glad you liked it!

Stef said...

I just made you naan recipe! Totally loved it!

Thanks!

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/05/naan-recipe-if-you-can-make-pancakes.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Srivalli,

Thks for sharing this lovely naan recipe. I made it for dinner today. Everyone loves these soft naans. Im delighted cos ive tried other naan recipes b4 and they were never this soft n beautiful!:)

Susanna, Perth

p/s here is a pic of my naans - http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/sspaks64/naan-1.jpg

Srivalli said...

Susanna I am so glad you liked the naans, they are our favorites!..:) thanks for the feedback

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...